----- Original Message -----
From: "James Gifford" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, January 26, 2001 1:16 AM
Subject: [SLUG] Good web design package

> I'm trying to wean myself off Windows.  Does anyone know of web design
> software similar to Dreamweaver for Linux?

My personal suggestion for HTML design is that you bunk in with a copy of
the HTML4.0 spec, the CSS1 spec, a copy of Netscape 4.7 for testing, and
xemacs in html-mode.

xemacs [in html-mode] will do syntax highlighting, and help you indent your
html to keep it readable.

and if you follow the HTML4.0 spec sufficently [Transitional is fine - I
don't think anybody bothers with Strict yet], and apply CSS1 strategically,
you can produce nice looking pages that should view correctly `anywhere'.

Pros:
* You'll do your part for the web and future web browsers by reducing the
amount of poorly written crud which people pass of as web pages.  A HTML
page *should* be able to be SGML parsed if it complies with the
specification. [and specifications exist for the purpose of
interoperability]

[On a side note: why hasn't somebody written a browser with NiftyKeen(tm)
functionality that everybody and their dog wants that requires strict HTML
compliance?]

* xemacs kicks ass for HTML editing anyway :P~

* Its not WYSIWYG. This is a good thing since the web isn't even compatible
with the idea. (Layout and Rendering style is the responsibility of the
browser, not the author - the author just gives it hints).

Cons:
* Its not WYSIWYG.

* Netscape 4.x also breaks the CSS specification - so if things don't work
as documented in the CSS1 spec, check it in MSIE before you panic - anything
that doesn't render right that uses cascading styles is probably netscape's
fault.

* Incompatible with LazyPeople(tm).

And if anybody says you can't produce anything that looks nice whilst
strictly obeying the HTML 4 specification, I will be hunting them down with
the cluebat at the next SLUG meeting.
--
| Crossfire      | This message was brought to you |