> If you are actually trying to view the colours on the AIX box, possibly:
> - the hardware does not have enough display memory, or
> - the hardware does not support the colours, or
> - the x11 file (maybe /usr/openwin/lib/X11/rgb.txt) does not have all the
> colours defined in it.

Thanks - the application is something generated on the AIX box and viewed
on the Linux box.

The rgb.txt files on both side are pretty much identical
Here are the locations on both boxes:
AIX: /usr/lpp/X11/lib/X11/rgb.txt
Linux: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb.txt

I couldnt' locate a private rgb.txt file for my application
so I don't think it has a private colormap, so I don't know what causes it.

Pretty mysterious.

Regards,
Sonam

Jill Rowling wrote:

> If you are actually trying to view the colours on the AIX box, possibly:
> - the hardware does not have enough display memory, or
> - the hardware does not support the colours, or
> - the x11 file (maybe /usr/openwin/lib/X11/rgb.txt) does not have all the
> colours defined in it.
>
> If you are trying to view something generated by the AIX box, possibly the
> application is calling for IBM-specific colours (SGI does this, too) which
> are not specified in the Linux rgb.txt file.
>
> The X server is just approximating the colours.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jill.
>
> --
> Jill Rowling, Snr Des. Eng. & Unix System Administrator
> Elec. Eng. Dept, Aristocrat Technologies Australia
> 3rd Floor, 77 Dunning Ave Rosebery NSW 2018
> Phone: (02) 9697-4484 Fax: (02) 9663-1412 Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Electronic Commerce
Corporate Express Australia Ltd.
Phone: +61-2-9335-0725 Fax: +61-2-9335-0753