With all the discussion about SIGs and installfests, I thought I'd throw my
2c worth into the ring.

I have Redhat 7.0 running on a Sony VAIO.  I've been able to get everything
working pretty much to my requirements, but haven't had a lot of luck
getting the sound to work (as far as I can tell, there are two things that
look like sound chips inside this machine).  Tridge suggested moving to the
2.4 kernel and installing a particular module, but that's more than I'm
happy to attempt by myself at the moment with this machine, because I use
it all the time and I'd hate to break it.

What I was thinking was it would be nice ... at least for me :-) ... to
have either a laptop installfest, or a fix-it day where people more
knowledgeable than me can help to sort out specific issues people are
having with their setups.

I'm not sure how many people out there have Linux running on a laptop,
which is why I think a general fix-it session would potentially be more
useful.  If people had somewhere to send an explanation of their issues
before the day, that would give people with hardware/kernel backgrounds a
chance to think about the problems.

Anyone else think this is a good idea?  Or have all the previous
installfests been like this anyway?  I meant to get to one out at Macquarie
uni a few of months ago, but something came up at the last minute that made
me miss it.