Hi.
        I've recently setup my brothers PC to dual-boot with Debian
Linux. Well, actually, I installed it on a hard disk. I've spent the last
couple of nights on the phone talking him through getting GRUB to boot
winders and setting up XFree86.

        Anyway, he's having a weird font problem under X. He describes the
text as looking like "bar codes" i.e "vertical lines, constant height,
variable thicknesses".

        Tonight I got him to setup xfs-xtt and point XF86Config at
"unix/:7100" for the FontPath. That seemed to fix _some_ fonts. What's
more, he described a dialog box where some text showed OK, but a label
below it (and presumebly using the exact same font) showed as a
"barcode". Plus, some text labels showed as just black boxes.

What could cause these problems? Font server? X server? It's using the
SVGA X server with an S3 Trio64 card.

Has anyone any suggestions that would save me from travelling out to fix
it in person?

thanks,
bye

--
Ian Tester   *8)#          \7\    LINUX: because geeks will find a way