Murtuza, it's been a while since I've done any dual boot work but here's
the one hazy thing I do remember - the windows partition needs to be
first. Try re-partitioning with the windows partition first.

You also need to install Windows before installing Linux. I think you
will find better instructions in the Linux Documentation Project "LDP":

http://orff.orchestra.cse.unsw.edu.au/pub/LDP/

Specifically:

http://orff.orchestra.cse.unsw.edu.au/pub/LDP/HOWTO/mini/Linux+Win95.html

This will be a great starting place and it's set up for situations such
as yours. Any problems following the guide, drop back with the details
and ppl here will more likely than not be able to help.

On 21 Feb 2001 06:28:36 +0000, Murtuza Jadliwala wrote:

> Hi friends
> I was only a Win 9x user till I got to know the
> Power of Linux in my Office and planned to
> shift to linux in my Home PC. But I was not
> done with Windows yet since I had lot of
> Important data. So I decided to load a dual
> boot on my pc. I was plagued by the following
> problems
> 1) I partitioned my 6.4 GB hard drive using
> Linux fdisk as follows
> partition1 2000M  Linux
> partition2 4000M  win95/FAT32
> partition3 139 M  Linux swap
>
> After partioning I started my Win98
> installation from the CDROM only to see that my
> c: was not accessible. I tried to format it and
> it says that The drive does not exist. It gives
> some vague errors. Basically I cannot format my
> Win95/FAT32 partition.
>
> Directly setting up from CDROM also doesnt
> work. It says the same thing that it cannot
> format c:
>
> Then I used Dos Fdisk to delete the existing
> Dos partition and  created a new partition. It
> does not allocat the entire 4GB to the
> partition but only 200 MB
>
> Please help me and tell me the exact procedure
> for creating a Win98/Linux dual boot.
>
> --
> Murtuza J
> Systems Engineer
> Investment Research and Information Services Ltd
> visit us at www.myiris.com

Cheers,
      Craige.