On Sat, Mar 10, 2001 at 08:10:53AM +1100, Scott Ragen uttered:
> I have a small problem with ipchains, i can create a simple rule, apply
> it, but it does not save.
>
> how do I achieve this? I have tried ipchains-save, after a reboot (which
> my g/f does a lot because she compares it to windows). even
> ipchains-restore doesn't restore it afterwards.

Mainly because they don't just write to the hard drive somewhere, _you_ need to do
some work for it. If you'd RTFM'd a little bit, you'd see that ipchains-save will
output your current rulesets __to a file__. ipchains-restore will read from that file,
to set your rules up as they were before.

slinky;~# tail -2 /etc/firewall
/sbin/ipchains -F
/sbin/ipchains-restore < /etc/firewallrules
`
> Regards,
>
> Scott
>
> --

                                                    Steve
  "I'm a sysadmin because I couldn't beat a blind monkey in a coding contest."
                                                        --Me