<quote who="Rick Welykochy">

> what is the *nix equivalent of active directory?

Well, not solely *nix, but LDAP is the current fad (which AD is based on,
funnily enough). In days gone by, NIS(+) filled this role, although I don't
believe it did everything that AD does.

Probably the best thing about AD is the interfaces (both user and
component), but you'll find *nix examples of these in products like
OpenView, etc. (OpenView is probably one of the standout features of HP-UX
and other HP products - they're all set up for it.)

I'd be interested to hear any recommendations for Free Software LDAP
interfaces - not just the bog standard stuff, rather, reasonable interfaces
to network management schemas and the like.

- Jeff

-- [EMAIL PROTECTED] ------------------------------- http://lwn.net/daily/ --

                W.O.R.K: Weekend Over, Resume the Killings.