This one time, at band camp, Simon Wong said:
>What sort of size would you suggest for essentially a single user (me)
>system?

As big as you want.

I tend to parttition like so:

10M /boot  (first on the disk)
128M swap
everything else in /

This is for my personal machines that do more workstationing than
servering.

>I suppose all program installations will still be on the main partition so
>it is only working and preference info in /home?

Well, if you make /home separate, you can reinstall the system without
overwriting that partition, vis (numbers may vary):

10M /boot
128M swap
50M /
2G /usr
6G /home

If you hose /usr/bin like you have, you can reinstall from scratch and
not overwrite your /home data
You won't need to recreate the partitions, as they already exist, and
you can recreate the filesystems on / and /usr without fear of
overwriting your /home.

>How do I get /root to be in /home/root?

Why do you want to do this?  a) if you separate /home from /, root won't
be able to log in if theres a problem mounting /home, b) if you're
thinking of using root as your normal login account, think again.

PS: snip your replies, there were 3 other messages under this one :(

--
jamesw

Always two there are; a Bastard, and a PFY.