Price isn't really the problem its useability/convienience.

We needed 4 machines 2 LINUX and 2 Windows
we cannot use Laptops for the windows machines as they need
to have a fast 3D AGP graphics card.

Using rackmount gear in one big lump means there is little setup
needed by the user they just need to pop the hood add power and
away they go.

Anyway it appears we are going another option but the
information
I collected thus far is reproduced here in case someone else is
interested.

Shock tested rack mount computers/cases from (Melbourne)
http://www.ieci.com.au seemed to be the sturdiest I could find
in Oz
(though not the chapest) they also have a rack mounting
keyboard/LCD screen drawer.

AGP risers to allow a AGP card to fit in a 1U rackmount case
(US)
http://www.adexelec.com

Custom flight cases made to order  (Sydney)
http://www.kenetic.com.au

---Gareth Walters