DaZZa was once rumoured to have said:
> On Wed, 11 Apr 2001, Jeff Waugh wrote:
>
>>> I never felt out of control with Debian. It told me what it
>>> was doing, what to do next, what it would require.
>>
>> Awesome. ;)
>
> OK, I'm in the mood to experiment.
>
> Where do you recommend I find an ISO to burn me a Debian CD so I can screw
> up^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^hinstall it on my laptop?
>
> Does Debian even install on Laptops without problems?

Yes - It installed on my rather impossible Telxon without any hiccups
[beyond hardware flaws and constraints - like ethernet chipset
weirdness and the fact the machine has no removable media drives at
all].  I've also installed it onto older laptops too without problems.
The main thing to be aware of is the known bug in the installer that
prompts you to remove the PCMCIA packages - telling you that you don't
have any PCMCIA hardware, regardless if you do or don't.

> I'd prefer to play with kernel 2.4 and the required updates if possible.

I have a stack of .deb's which were backported from testing which will
let you use Linux 2.4 on potato machines, as well as having a slightly
patched pppd so you can also use native PPPoE support.

* http://kitsumi.xware.cx/deb22-lin24/

[ignore the kernel packages if you haven't read my ADSL on 2.4 page]

Of course, you could just upgrade to testing and use that which is
what I'm using on my dedicated linux box.

C.