On Wed, Apr 11, 2001 at 02:35:17PM +1000, Matthew Davidson wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm looking at various platforms for developing web apps, primarily a
> slashdot/K5 style community site, with associated services.  I've a
> perverse desire to hand-roll all this in perl, but given time

        One suggestion is that if you do want something that's pretty
much like slashdot then just grab the code and use it add in any
features you need and then feed it back to the upstream sources. You can
download the code of the webpage or search for slashcode on freshmeat.

        Actually just had a look go to slashcode.com it uses apache and
perl and mysql and apprently slashcode is up to v 2.0 while slahsdot
itself only currenly uses 1.0

--
John Ferlito
Senior Engineer - Bulletproof Networks