I've searched the mailing list archive and can't find an answer to this one:

I've just gotten Telstra ADSL.  It's working fine from my Windows Me system
(the one I'm using now) but when I try to use pppoe on my gateway system
(Debian Potato) I get the following in /var/log/messages:

legba pppd[419]: pppd 2.3.11 started by root, uid 0
legba pppd[419]: Using interface ppp0
legba pppd[419]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/pts/3
legba pppd[419]: Modem hangup
legba pppd[419]: Connection terminated.
legba pppd[419]: Exit.

What could be causing this, and how can I fix it?  I've tried three
different network cards so far (including teh one that works in the windows
box), and that hasn't made any differece.  I've tried both the pppoe package
and downloading the source for roaring penguin's pppoe.

 - Doug