\begin{Arunava Sen}
> I just installed a base potato system and upgraded to unstable. this is
> my first debian system, so im just getting used to some of the stuff. I
> was wondering... does anyone here have encrypted FS working with debian?
> >From what I understand, I can use the make-kpkg script to apply the
> relevant security enabled kernel patch (which is now available for
> 2.4.3, I think). But, doesnt the actual set-up of the FS require
> excryption-enabled (patched?) versions of the util-linux package as
> well?
>
> I couldnt find any security-patched version in the debian archives. Of
> course, I can get the source and patch it and recompile, But id rather
> have it go through the packaging system, if possible. Any ideas, or
> unofficial apt-get sources for the packages?

is loopback working in 2.4.3 yet?

for 2.2, all you need to do is install kernel-patch-int, then build
the kernel (remove "fakeroot" if doing as root (tsk)) with:

 untar /usr/src/kernel-source-2.xx $somewhere
 cd $somewhere
 export PATCH_THE_KERNEL=YES
 fakeroot make-kpkg --revision mykernel.1 kernel_image
 dpkg -i ../kernel-image-2*_mykernel.1*.deb

for 2.4 you'll have to apply the patch manually (there's no debian
package yet), then run the same make-kpkg command.

--
 - Gus