At 09:47 PM 24/04/2001 +1000, you wrote:
>All,
>
>Anybody having any suggestions regarding installing RH7.1? I just got
>hold of the complete CD set and want to upgrade my systems on Wednesday.
>Currently I am using 6.2 (have all latest fixes) and I want to upgrade to 7.1.
>What do I need to be aware of?

The usual - RedHat don't recommend/support upgrading per se - so back up
your custom stuff, check the supported h/w list, and away ye go

>Any drawbacks?

Over 6.2, I'd have to say none

>The install guide says that the new kernel is more aggressive regarding swap
>space, whats a good value?

How long's a piece of string?
It is suggested, for a workstation/low-end server to have 2x installed RAM
However, this is obviously not what you want for a 2-GIG installed RAM Server

(this is a 'feature' of a currently-immature kernel - it should get better
as the 2.4.x -series develops)

>The last time I did an upgrade (from 5.x to 6.1) the installer had
>its "own understanding" of what should be in /etc/rc.d/init.d and
>overwrote a lot of my scripts (saving the old ones with *.rpmsave), is it
>still doing this???

Yes, but it didn't 'overwrite' your scripts, it copied them to *.rpmsave,
which is surely a good behavioural trait, as you can, if wanted, copy them back

>2 of the machines are firewalls, how good is the firewall config util?
>Anybody tested it? (I use my own shell scripts in init.d to set it up)

It's ipchains-based, as opposed to the newer, swizzier, iptables AFAIR

>On another note:
>Has anyone tried "Partition Magic 5.01" with Linux partitions?
>OK to use?? Other options???

I've used it both to create & resize Linux partitions, and it was fine,
even on an all-SCSI system. I had to boot off a regular boot disk, though,
then access the executable afterwards.

there is another option - parted from gnu software foundation
http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/parted.html
and you'll need a boot disk (partboot) if you want to muck around with your
root partition

hth