<snip>

>> "According to  /var/run/gdm.pid, gdm was already running (1094) but seems
>> have been murdered mysteriously"

>Sounds like X or gdm are having palpitations. Check the logs in
/var/log/gdm
>and /var/log/X*

        Thanks, but the immediate problem is that I can't log on ... Ken has
suggested logging in via 'tomsrbtb disk' which I am not sure at the moment
is the same thing as the RH7 boot disk I made when upgrading from RH6.2 - if
successful I can at least save some of my downloads.

        One thing I did not mention is that apart from discovering I had all these
non-deleted cores (I had assuned that fsck did that automatically on
log-off/on) the most diskhungry application - StarOffice5.2 - started
spawning on logon and seemed to get worse each time I did so. At first only
one or two versions started automatically, then five, then ten, then
fifteen, then eighteen at last count. Ultimately it just clogged the whole
system.

        I admit that I have more software on it than I use but it was a bit like a
small child discovering a new toy and trying to discover its limitations. I
downloaded almost the entire complement of RH7 packages, except those
explicitly intended for development, and now would like to attune it more to
my own fairly modest needs. But a 10 Gb drive should have been ample, and I
still don't understand why my root (/) partition showed 100% usage - which
seems to be the main problem. The logon script also gave the message that

"cannot start: stat /usr/swap
No such file or directory"

        If I cannot boot in to fix it I have the options of installing over it with
either RH7.1 or Debian Potato 2.2r2 which I picked up at the same time ...
possibly turning the experience into a positive development.

Adam.