On Fri, May 04, 2001 at 05:07:05PM +1000, Martin Richards uttered:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking at getting a UPS for a linux server, basically just for the box
> itself to allow a vaguely graceful shutdown with saves and no fsck
> nightmares. I'm wondering if anyone has any tips on what would be a suitable
> choice, and advice on any solutions for linux that exist. At the moment I'm
> looking at an APC UPS with RS232 (serial) support. The machine in question
> is a RH7.1 box, PII with 3 SCSI drives, and a couple of nics. It would be
> nice if the monitor stayed up as well to allow some saves etc, though mostly
> I just want an automated shutdown. We aren't looking at spending much more
> than a few hundred dollars.

I'm looking for a APC UPS as well, and I recommend the Smart-UPS 420, and yes, it has
a serial port.
<plug type="shameless">
Debian has support for the commands the UPS sends down the wire in /etc/inittab
Ohh, and 'apt-get install apcupsd'
</plug>
If not, one of the more 'up-market' Back-UPS should do quite nicely.

> Also, I went out to buy a Netgear FA311TX or Intel EEPro based NIC today,
> and wound up getting talked into getting a 3com 3C905C-TXM. I was assured
> this is a reliable NIC with relatively low CPU demands and sustained high
> throughput. Does anyone have any comments on these NICs? Is it a decent NIC
> or junk... I bought it to replace the SMC EZ10/100 I got with my ADSL, which
> has proven itself to be unstable junk in my motherboard.

MUAHAHAHAHA. I tend to switch my brain into power-save mode until they've stopped
dribbling, and then reinforce the fact that I'm not going to be moved with their silly
market-speak. Happened when I rang up Harris Technology for the UPS too. He thought he
was going well until I said, "So, you want me to spend an extra $250 for an extra 20
minutes of battery power? I think _not_."
:-)
(Sorry, I know nothing about 3com NICs)

> --

                                                    Steve
  "I'm a sysadmin because I couldn't beat a blind monkey in a coding contest."
                                                        --Me