kernel 2.2.15 has a known problem w/ the cdrom support.

you should update yoru kernel from your distro's eratta updates.

rgds,

-Greg

On 06-May-01 Joshua Burvill wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone might be able
> to give me a pointer with this.
>
> When I boot the vm from a windows/dos
> boot up floppy with the dos cd driver,
> most of the time it says that no cdrom
> drive can be found. There are no kernel
> messages associated with this.
>
> On two occasions the dos cd driver actually loaded but the speed
> when accessing the cdrom was exceedingly slow - it took about a minute
> to do a dir listing of the cd.
>
> BTW, the cd drive works perfectly well except within the vm
>
> ** Using debian 2.2r2, kernel 2.2.15, vmware workstation 2.0.1
>
> TIA, Josh
>
> PS When running with kernel 2.4.3, I also
> had a lot of errors trying to read
> the floppy drive from the vm, which is
> why I am currently using an older kernel,
> which has improved the situation quite a
> bit, although I still get the occasional
> error:
> kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev 02:00 (floppy), sector 0
>
> --

"DOS Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq, Tandy, and
millions of others are by far the most popular, with about 70 million
machines in use wordwide. Macintosh fans, on the other hand, may note that
cockroaches are far more numerous than humans, and that numbers alone do
not denote a higher life form."       (New York Times, November 26, 1991)
| Greg Hosler                           i-net:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]    |