On Sun, May 06, 2001 at 03:53:23PM +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Andrew Eager">
> >    a) Why do I see different SMTP servers used when sending mail
> >    (smtp-01.myisp, smtp-06.myisp .... ) ?
>
> A round robin system for the SMTP servers at your ISP.
>
> >    b) Is it possible to tell postfix to use the same server (prev
> >    mail.my_isp.net.au) ?  (I tried setting relayhost in main.cf but that
> >    did nothing)
>
> relayhost = usual.isp.smtp.server
>
> Then set all of your clients to use your machine as the relay. You're
> probably seeing the results of the round robin system; just make sure you
> use the relayhost line, because many sites block email that is send directly
> from dial-ups.

indeed as I found out when I first set it up a while ago.
It seems common for ISPs (well large ones at least) to have several
mail servers (eg. I get the same thing as you're describing Andrew
sending my mail out via dingoblue/optus).
Maybe you could put that specific server (eg. smtp-04.myisp...) as
your relayhost but I'm not sure that's a particularly good idea even
if it does work.

Dave.