On Thu, May 10, 2001 at 02:52:39PM +1000, Michael Lake wrote:
> I get the following error when I send mail internally either to others
> or to
> myself as in the headers below. The mail bounces with:
>         unknown local-part "mike.lake" in domain "uts.edu.au"

It just so happens that I had a similar problem to you a few
days ago, I'm not stalking you :)

check your exim.conf file near the top for a line like:
qualify_domain = uts.edu.au

comment it out.

Then go down to near the bottom of the file to the REWRITE CONFIGURATION
section and change uts.edu.au to your local host.domain, and if you
haven't already, edit /etc/email-addresses. This step wasn't part of
your problem, but its a good thing to do IMHO.

> But mainly whats the error actually mean? Should the envelope or return

I think it will be made clear when you read the comments in the
exim.conf file, but basically when you send mail to a local address
(without a @host part to it), exim was adding @uts.edu.au and then
sending it to your smart host, rather than delivering it locally.

That was my problem anyway, yours sounds similar to mine.