<response type="opinion" flamage=NULL>
...and then Luke McKee said:
> 1) I accept there was source available of pam_stack.so but it was in a
> redhat.src.rpm. I like getting my updates from the source so to speak.
This is where I tentatively suggest not using RedHat.

Packaging systems (RPM, Deb, foo..) assume that they have complete control
of the filesystem, with the exception of a few places like /usr/local.
Doing anything to break that assumption only causes trouble.
Installing a major service like PAM from a tarball is considered to be a big
no-no.
If you leave the PAM RPM in, then the RPM database has corrupt information
regarding PAM.  If you manage to remove the RPM, you break a whole mess of
dependencies, which come back to haunt you, and you make it more difficult
for any other admin who comes along and doesn't realise that there's some
custom stuff in there.

The ideal option would be to hack the SRPM, either keeping the rogue module
from being compiled, or splitting it into an optional extra package.  Or, if
you _really_ like getting your updates "from the source", then may I suggest
either Slackware, whose rudimentary packaging system is really easy to
avoid, of looking into the Linux From Scratch project.

For the record, I have built my own system from scratch, and spent many
years as a Slackware zealot before I got lazy and moved to Debian.

Cheers,
Peter
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
--
By now the whole of downtown Morpork was alight, and the richer and worthier
citizens of Ankh on the far bank were bravely responding by feverishly