On Tue, 29 May 2001, Adam F. Bogacki wrote:

> I - think - I downloaded StarOffice 5.2 last night. The first download
> connection failed so I restarted it and, since it indicated it would take 5
> hours, I went to bed. In the morning my root account was 40% full and I
> found /home/adam had
>
> so-5_2-qa-bin-linux-en.bin
>
> in it. I assume it's a binary file. How do I execute it ?   /sbin/......
> ?

Run 'file' over it first, to see what it is.  Assuming it's something that
is executable in some way, try

chmod u+x so-5_2-qa-bin-linux-en.bin
./so-5_2-qa-bin-linux-en.bin

That will make it executable and run it.

Then follow prompts and whatnot.  StarOffice isn't my thing (LaTeX is the
one true document prep system, troff a close second) so I'll leave advanced
SO to others.

> I'll deal with the device drivers later. Devices include Epson Stylus
> Printer, Epson Perfection 640U scanner, LG CD-RW CED-8080B, and Pioneer
> DVD-ROM.

OK, The Epson printer might be a problem - those beasts are notoriously
screwed in all sorts of creative ways.  The scanner may or may not be a
problem - xsane is pretty good at that sort of thing.  I have absolutely
zero knowledge of DVDs, though don't expect support to be too easy - DVDs
and Linux (thanks to the tireless efforts of those stalwarts of Truth,
Justice, and the American way (greed above all else), the MPAA and RIAA)
don't mix.  Such is life.  I'll be surprised if the CD-RW can't be
encouraged to work.  If it's SCSI, you're set - they *all* work (AFAIK -
I've certainly never had one go "pfft" at me), otherwise it's time to roll
out IDESCSI and have some fun...