Thanks,

see my comments below.

Adam Kennedy wrote:

> Actually, it's not a ratio... it's on a highest at the time basis.
>
> If the taxi is travelling about a certain speed, the rate per second for
> distance is higher
> If the taxi is travelling below, the base rate per second is used.
>
> So if you are cruising along at 10 K, you are probably paying the time rate,
> rather than the distance rate.

With all due respect, that is what I am not sure about and would welcome
some hard evidence such as that
on the website Howard mentioned.

> Also, when was the last time a taxi driver slowed down to phase the
> lights...

You might be surprised - especially when said taxi-driver has only a few
demerit points left.
Without boasting, it has been done - usually in the early hours on
Parramatta Rd., but also on the Airport route.
Some call it luck; I call it skill.