<quote who="Andy Haigh">

> We have an ipchains firewall that has multiple IP addresses set up on the
> external NIC. We are going to change to a different ISP and will require to
> change the external IP addresses. I just want to check that this is as
> simple as just changing the IP addresses in linux and changing the ip's the
> ipchains config files.

Are you using Debian? There is a very cool Debian package called ipmasq,
which deals with all of this automagically. You build rules files (as
opposed to just one big script), and use variables passed to you by the
ipmasq system when it starts up.

When I need to allow dhcp on a machine for instance, I just drop my internal
dhcp rule file in, and everything works. I've done the same for transparent
proxying and many other services.

For a simple gateway and most other situations, you don't even need to
specify interfaces - it works it all out itself. When it gets complicated,
you just tell it what to regard as external, and what to regard as internal.

It's way cool, man.

- Jeff

--
     "What's up with that word though... it's like something you did to
          frogs in grammar school." - Ani DiFranco on bisexuality