begin Mike Holland quotation:

> Seriously?

Why, sure.  The "+++" sequence is quite fatal.  That's why it's perilous
to read http://www.faqs.org/faqs/modems/ZyXEL/FAQ/part3/section-12.html ,
and you are a wicked person for posting that URL:  It includes "+++",
you see, and we know that documents on the Internet simply may not be
allowed to say "+++" let alone "ath", and definitely not the two of
them, one after the other, like this:  "+++ath".

That would be very bad.  Anyone who would say those things would be a
conclusively evil person.  So, make sure you tell people never to say
"+++" or "ath", and especially not "+++ath", as frequently as possible:
Like this:  Please, never, ever say "+++", "ath", or, particularly,
"+++ath", on the Internet.

> It can't be that simple. The +++ sequence occurs commonly, and
> that alone would cause trouble.

But, wait, it _must_ be true!  We read it in something someone wrote on
the Internet.

> As I read it, the '+++' only works when the line is silent before and
> after for a minimum time. [...]  It would be a major bug in a modem to
> ignore that requirement.

Oh, you're obviously one of those pesky _technical_ people.

But remember:  _Never_ say "+++".   It's wicked.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]       modern-American-English-usage-improvement association