From: DaZZa [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, September 11, 2001 9:06 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [SLUG] Answer + Disappointment

On Mon, 10 Sep 2001, Charles U Farley wrote:

> I'm happy to paint you as a villain Rick, as I'm sure many of this
> lists modem users are.  Yes you've annoyed me personally, does + + +
> ath ring any bells in your juvenile head.  For those of you lucky
> enough to be unaware, Rick decided to include the command to hangup a
> modem in the headers of several recent emails to this list.  I'll bet
> there are other recipients not yet back on the list, still trying to
> figure out why their ppp connection fails every time they download
> their mail.

Only those who have cheap junk modems, or who don't know how to set them
up properly.

There's a simple AT command that's valid on all modems which even pretend
to match the Hayes command set which disables this possibility.

Of course, good modems who actually license the Hayes command set
accordingly don't have this problem.

Reference

http://cert.uni-stuttgart.de/archive/bugtraq/1998/09/msg00209.html

> Rick, you are a villain and a nuisance and because I know this to be
> true, this post is anonymous.

Certainly, it's childish and a nuisance - but villainous?

DaZZa