begin Terry Collins quotation:

> In my experience most of these relay test sites are totally useless to
> genuine people running tests and just ego wanks by the people running
> them, e.g. ordb.org boast 1,000,000 open relays listed, but not how many
> open relays they have helped close, which I would have thought was the
> real purpose of the game.

It's possible that I'm going to miss the context of the original query,
but here's one way to directly test whether a mail server will relay or
not.  We open a connection to the SMTP port (25/tcp), and then draft
a relayed message on the spot, preparatory to entering the message
text and dropping it off.  Like this:

  ~ $ telnet linuxmafia.com smtp
  Trying 198.144.195.186...
  Connected to uncle-enzo.
  Escape character is '^]'.
  220 uncle-enzo ESMTP Exim 3.31 #1 Fri, 14 Sep 2001 17:44:17 -0700
  HELO linuxmafia.com
  250 uncle-enzo Hello rick at uncle-enzo [198.144.195.186]
  MAIL FROM: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  250 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> is syntactically correct
  RCPT TO: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  550 relaying to <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> prohibited by administrator
  quit
  221 uncle-enzo closing connection
  Connection closed by foreign host.
  [rick@uncle-enzo]
  ~ $

The point is that we told it this will be a message addressed _both_
from a non-local domain (baz.com) _and_ to a non-local domain (foo.com).
By definition, that makes it relayed mail, since, if linuxmafia.com's
SMTP process accepted the mail, it would be redelivered on baz.com's
behalf.

And, as you can see, the intended relay host in this case refuses to
play that game (the "550" error).

[EMAIL PROTECTED]                           Or denied.  So there.