On Fri, 21 Sep 2001, Mike Holland wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Sep 2001, Keiran Sweet wrote:
>
> > I have recompiled the kernel to disable modules, statically include the
> > network card drivers, and all other hardware drivers, plus include all
> > needed netfilter support.
>
> Why bother with all that? Whats wrong with modules?

If modules are not needed because the configuration is fixed, then it is
better to remove the support for a simple reason: security measure. Nasty
stuffs can be done when module support is enabled on a machine: load a
nice rootkit module and that's it, you own the machine from it's real
root. Modules does save memory simply because you can choose to only
load what you need at a time, but not by it's nature: a driver loaded in a
module will use the same ressources as if it was statically included in
the kernel.