On Thu, Sep 27, 2001 at 07:30:29PM -0400, blinddog wrote:
> New problem, and I am not sure what to do next.
> System Mandrake 8
> When I login and the X login promt appears it normally would have my login,
> my partners and the root to choose from. Now I have approx 30 icons to choose
> from being things like alias, axfrdns, nscd, qmailq, shutdown, halt etc. Also
> I have now lost the button to shutdown, reboot etc and can only action these
> from a console.

It's likely you're using kdm (default on Mandrake I think), unless you've
changed it yourself. Mandrake stores it's configuration for kdm in
/usr/share/config/kdmrc. This is probably the file you need to look at. It's
not well commented at all, but have a look for the NoUsers= line. Should look
something like:

NoUsers=adm,apache,bin,bind,daemon,exim,falken,ftp,games,gdm,gopher,halt,httpd,
ingres,kmem,lp,mail,mailnull,man,mta,mysql,news,nobody,nscd,operator,pop,
postfix,reboot,root,rpc,rpcuser,sendmail,shutdown,squid,sympa,sync,tty,uucp,
xfs,xten,

Including all the users you don't want to show up in the kdm menu. Might be
another issue though if you've lost the shutdown, reboot buttons. Have a look
at that file anyway and see if anything looks relevant.

If you're using xdm or gdm, Mandrake stores the config info in /etc/X11/xdm,
and /etc/X11/gdm. The config files are in these directories.

Tom