On Sun, 30 Sep 2001 20:50, Laurie Savage wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Sep 2001, Steven Blunt wrote:
> :You can set up a local SMTP server which will hold mail until you next
> :connect to the net.  I'm fairly sure sendmail does this by default.
>
> How do I do this? What server do I stipulate in the SMTP field?

Hi Laurie,

'tis tres simple. In <email-program-of-choice>, specify your server IP
address (or DNS name if you're running DNS/hosts file) as the POP3 and SMTP
addresses...

i.e.  My server collects mail from fl.net.au for jon and jill and stores them
locally as jon and jill. We then log on using our respective workstations and
collect it.

You need fetchmail to do the fetching, and sendmail to do the sending.

Jon