> I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for linux compatible
> webcams, or rather, webcams that you can actually write applications for.

A good cheap webcam that works on linux (and everything else) is the
Swann USB Smartcam Deluxe. Based on the OV511+ chipset, it is supported
under linux, and at only $58.00 (I got mine from www.umart.com.au), I
thought
it a bargan. I have had it working on Linux-x86/Windows2k/iMac-OS9.1.

The Swann USB Smartcam Personal is $10 cheaper, but may use a different
chipset (it is lower res than the 640x480 Deluxe model).

> I've always been somewhat interested in real time video type stuff, and
I'd