begin Silcock, Stephen quotation:

> - Default installations.  I think you'd find more of these
> vulnerabilities are exploitable in a default install of Windows than a
> default install of say RedHat or Debian.

I'd say there's really no such thing as a default install in Debian.
One can consider that a bug or a feature, per inclination.

But I will say that you'll never get pushed towards sendmail, wu-ftpd,
or BIND v. 8.x -- so you're already slightly ahead, right there.  In any
event, once you add an alert system administrator into the picture, any
*ix can be made security-tolerable with a bit of work.

(I'll ignore the suggestion that one might do likewise for MS-Windows,
else I'd risk hurting myself from laughter.)

In case they're useful, here are some of the classic texts, helpful in
adding that one essential ingredient -- an alert sysadmin:

DNS and BIND, Cricket Liu, O'Reilly
TCP/IP Network Administration, Craig Hunt, O'Reilly
Unix System Administration Handbook, Evi Nemeth et al., Prentice Hall
Essential System Administration, Aeleen Frisch, O'Reilly
Linux System Administration; M Carling, Stephen Degler, Jim Dennis; New
   Riders  (a different sort of book, but needed)
Building Internet Firewalls, Brent Chapman et al., O'Reilly
Firewalls and Internet Security, Wm. Cheswick & Steven Bellovin,
   Addison-Wesley

And some more of my recommendations are quoted here (along with those of
lots of other people, so I can't be responsible for the latter):
http://www.mezzaninereader.com/macosxbooks.html

(It refers to something I try to hammer into people:  Many of the really
bad technical books are bad mainly because they're attempting to be both
a tutorial and a reference at the same time -- which is not possible,
and just makes the book useless as either one.)

And some may find helpful an article of mine:
http://www.itworld.com/Sec/2199/LWD000829hacking/

--
"Is it not the beauty of an asynchronous form of discussion that one can go and
make cups of tea, floss the cat, fluff the geraniums, open the kitchen window