<quote who="Ken Foskey">

> Linux:~# apt-get install defoma --reinstall
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> 0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 reinstalled, 0 to remove and
> 48  not upgraded.
> 2 packages not fully installed or removed.
> Need to get 0B/52.4kB of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
> Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
> dpkg: parse error, in file `/var/lib/dpkg/available' near line 81071
> package `tomcat':
> `Depends' field, reference to `libservlet2.2-java': version contains ` '
>
> >> As stated earlier my harddisk corrupted itself the other night,
> required manual fsck to recover.
>
> Help.
I have seen problems similar to this before.  Try editing the file

/var/lib/dpkg/available

the error will be somewhere near line 81071.  By inspection and
comparison with the information for other packages you should be able to
find the corrupt character and guess what it should have been.  Fix it
and you should be able to run your apt-get instruction successfully.

regards,

Ken