Hi John, others,

Depends on the hardware. I assume you mean a PC; in that case, usually.
Depends on what the manufacturer thought of.
The old 486 at home gets it from the battery, which is a rechargeable.
Old apricots had this weird diode thingy ...
On sun boxen, it always comes from the battery. So you know when to get a
new one :)

1) Yes except at boot time. However I think there is a re-sync after a while
on some
hardware, especially if you are running a time server. That would be cron'd
in (but you might have to check which service is running it? Might not be
root...)
2) Yes however our old 486 does weird things so that might not always be the
case.
My Athlon seems to keep the clock stable once powered up.
I seem to recall reading somewhere in
man hwclock
that you can periodically reset it in case of drift.
3) No.

Regards,

Jill.

--
Jill Rowling, Snr Des. Eng. & Unix System Administrator
Eng. Systems Dept, Aristocrat Technologies Australia

--

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

If you have received this message in error, please delete it and notify us
by return e-mail or telephone Aristocrat Technologies Australia Pty Limited
on +61 2 9413 6300.