On 22 Nov 2001, Damien Elmes wrote:

> Jeffrey Borg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > couldn't you just make it smaller in the bios and go and install linux on
> > it anyway
> >
> > like my laptop 12gb disk windoze only see's 8gb and it's only in the 1st
> > 2gb only anyway. Linux on the rest works fine. Linux dosen't care about
> > broken bios'es! Heck it dosen't even use it!
>
> my bios would freeze on POST with a 40gb drive until i upgraded it.
> fortunately i didn't need to increase the size of the chip in order to
> fit the updated version.

Just as an excercise I'd like to find out if manually setting the BIOS in
advance to a non auto detect setting would fix this problem. If the
original poster could at least try this before doing the flash upgrade I'd
be pleased to hear from them but generally speaking an upgraded BIOS would
be nicer.

--
Web: www.arcadia.au.com/gripz