obtained the ip address from bigpond which is 61.9.128.16 & 61.9.128.13.
added this as per your advise and it still did not work even after
restarting.
I had the same problem on another linux box before and i did something with
the hostname field and it worked after that. But unfortunately as the older
I get (lol) the more i seem to forget.
Any other ideas or should i post this at slug?

 thanks again
Marko

http://spacepants.org/jaq.gpg