On Mon, 2001-12-17 at 19:27, Antony Clarke wrote:
> Anyone know if you can get Evolution on CD, looked at everythinglinux but no
> mention of it. 56k here so downloading is no go.
>
> I've read that Evolution is a bit unstable without Ximian gnome, has anyone
> found this?

(Debian-centric response...)

You need to be careful about mixing ximian's packages with "standard"
gnome debs from debian.  Ximian do some "fine tuning" to get the
"unstable" gnome stuff to work with the potato (stable) distribution so
they are not entirely compatible with non-ximian gnome packages.

If you are running potato Ximian is good as they back-port a lot of the
new gnome stuff so you cave some bleeding edge fun (and pain) too :-)

IMHO they do a darn good job at getting an advanced (GUI) desktop onto
the stable distribution, though, I did have some problems with packages
occasionally.  Some people on the list have some vehement dislike for
the Ximian packages.

As to where to get it...sorry, can't help but suggest do it overnight or
make some friends with faster connections!

Good Luck.

P.S. Evolution is very well behaved now and during the development I
never lost any mail anyway.