* This one time, at band camp, getadog said:
> Try booting into single user mode (ie linux 1 at the lilo prompt)
> and do something like renaming the gdm symlink from S??gdm
> to K??gdm in /etc/rc2.d/ or you can use update-rc.d to do it.
> (I think update-rc.d is meant for packages to use, its a bit
> weird)

I would recommend not changing the value to K??gdm as that has special
meaning to init.  Changing it to something like s??gdm, norun??gdm etc
will prevent it from running.

Changing it to a K will force a 'stop' parameter to be passed to the
script - therefore the script will still be run and more whackyness
could ensue.  Changing it to a lower case 's', or something entirely
different (just not an 'S' or 'K') will remove it from the loop
completely.

HTH

Greeno
--
Greeno <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
GnuPG Key :  1024D/B5657C8B

Imagine working in a secure environment and finding the string
_NSAKEY in the OS binaries without a good explanation
    -Alan Cox 04/05/2001