I'm currently playing with a script to measure average ping times between
some sites and have tries a variety of the ping options, but I have
noticed some curious behavour.

If I flood ping for 1 second with:
ping -q -n -f -w1 <target>
then it appears to put out around 100 packets, I get quite high packet
loss and a ping time average around the same as for a normal ping.

If I war ping with 100 packets in 1 second with:
ping -q -n -c100 -i0.01 <target>
then I get no packet loss and a similar ping time when the target is a
PSTN connection.

Now here comes the odd bit.  If I take out the -q option so that I can
see the responses, then from ADSL to PSTN the ping times marginally
increase during the sequence.  From ADSL to ISDN the ping time increases
by a factor of around 2 from start to end.  From ADSL to ADSL however this
ping time increases steadily over the 1 second by a factor of over 15.

Weird...

--
Howard.
LANNet Computing Associates - Your Linux people