is this pc to pc, or pc to hub to pc ?

in the 1st case you need 1 cross cable

in the 2nd case you need 2 straight cables

if you do not have the correct utp cable wiring, then you're network won't
connect. One test is to ping (using the ip numbers) once the network is
configured (ifconfig/route).

another thing to check is that the routing is correct, and esp that the default
route (though for a local install, all lan references local, standard netmask
routing ought to be sufficient).

-Greg