Hello,

the point is that, i dont choose, the customer did, i just have to connect
with it. He does not know exactly what it is as Telstra is pretty vague
about it.

On Tue, 15 Jan 2002, DaZZa wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Jan 2002, Jean-Francois Dive wrote:
>
> > We have to setup a connection to the megalink service for a customer from
> > a linux box. Telstra does not have a lot of information about what you
> > gonna have when you take the service, so maybe someone of you knows more
> > than them about it.
> >
> > Here is what i understand from this service:
> >
> > - It is based on E1 type of link and you receive the appropriate number of
> > slots depending on the bandiwth you required.
>
> Nope. A "Megalink" is a dedicated, 2 megabit per second, point to point
> service.

Yep, but it seems it is based on E1 framing isn't it ?

> What you want is a Primary rate ISDN service, {assuming you do want what
> you described}, which you can buy in 10, 20 or 30 channel variants.
>
> > - Now the point is to know how Telstra terminate the network at the
> > customer premise, which will change the type of interface we have to
> > support: will it be an E1 connection (then which type of connector: RJ48
> > or dual BNC type of connector (120 or 75 ohm), what about the CSU/DSU ?),
> > or will they give a box which transform the E1 framing to a classical WAN serial
>connection (V35
> > type of connection) ? This latest configuratio is the one we have for our
> > own framerelay connection, but nobody here is sure if this was included by
> > telstra or if we had to finance the box.
>
> Depends what you actually buy. A proper megalink will be terminated on an
> orange box {which I used to know the name of - god, old age sucks!} with
> coaxial connectors - it's been so long since I did this
> that I can't remember the exact details, but I *think* they're RG96
> connectors on a high grade 50 ohm coax - but I could be completely wrong.
> Anyway, this pair of coax cables {transmit and receive} go to a 2 megabit
> per second modem - the only ones I ever used were Scitec Saturn2000's or
> 2001 - which has either a V35 or X.21 interface.

Mmm that's match our installation, we hook on this wan serial interface.

> >From here, you connect to your router with the appropriate cable - V35 or
> X.21.
>
> If you really want an ISDN service with multiple channels, you will be
> terminated to either an RJ45 connector with ISDN pinouts, or even more
> simply to a krone block in your frame, and you have to bring it out to
> your RJ45 yourself.

I dont specificatlly wanna it, just one pipe of 2 megs.

> If you want a frame relay service, it's different again - you'll get a 4
> wire circuit terminated to a DSU with an X.21 interface {V35 on request,
> but last time I asked for V35, they got really shitty and claimed it was
> being phased out, and wouldn't I like X.21?}.

That's bull***, V35 is still the standard connection for serial
interfaces that i know. All the cisco have this interface on standard.

> > - We need to get internet access trough this megalink, to the associated
> > Telstra servie. What is the used L2 encpas to make the link ? Is it HDLC
> > (if yes, Cisco HDLC or not), or framerelay ?
>
> Again, depends on what you buy.
>
> A megalink is a point to point connection which runs HDLC. Nothing else is
> necessary.
>
> A primary rate ISDN service can run ppp, ppp-multilink, or frame-relay
> over ISDN as you wish. That's up to the router configuration. If you're
> connecting to Telstra for internet access, it'll most likely be
> ppp-multilink.
>
> If you go for a frame relay service, it'll run most likely run
> encapsulation frame-relay, or frame-relay IETF - depends on the other
> end's connection.

Will depend on the internet provider i suppose.

> > - Last point, for my own curiosity, does someone know what type of WAN
> > does Telstra use for thos services ? Is it a quite legacy E3/E1 etc..
> > architecture, or do they use SDH/Sonet or maybe MPLS/IP or MPLS/ATM based
> > one ?
>
> Again {I'm saying this a lot!}, depends on the connection you get.
>
> Most of Telstra's network, if it's a long distance connection, is
> multiplexed onto the national Sonet fibre ring at some point. Some ISDn
> services come into the building as what they call "lightstream" -
> basically, they run a fibre into the building and through ATM down it to a
> add/drop multiplexer and pull out individual 2 meg streams. This only
> happens on large buildings, though, where they can logically expect large
> demand for voice/data services.

Could be a LightStream 1010 (cisco LS1010, ATM switch)

> Sometimes it's plain old copper, with standard ISDN, multiplexed somewhere
> upstream from your exchange.
>
> Good luck looking for more detail than that - "Standards? We don't need no
> steenkin' Standards!"

Ahh i like to work with clear information, support and when everybody
knows it's job perfectly. What a perfect world.

> DaZZa

thanks for the info, that definitively confirm that i will know when the
telstra people will give us an answer about the service my client will
use. The probleme is that *a lot* of sites will be installed this way,
so..

JeF