On Fri, Jan 18, 2002 at 11:30:20AM +1100, Rob B wrote:
> At 09:45 18/01/2002, Richard Hayes sent this up the stick:
> >Last night I tried to install Woody on a system without either CDRom or
> >networkcard.
> >
> >I have a number of floppies:  driver-1.bin,  driver-2.bin, driver-3.bin,
> >driver-4.bin, root.bin and rescue.bin
> >
> >I can easily install the 6 disks but I can not find the other disk images
> >install a base systems on either the debian CD or ftp site.
> >
> >Do I need the eleven other disks and where are they?
>
> There aren't any base- disks for Woody, only Potato.  Your best bet is to
> install Potato and apt-get update && dist-upgrade to Woody after fixing
> your /etc/apt/sources file.

the woody install doesn't use base disks anymore, it
downloads/installs the appropriate debs directly.

in fact, if you're using compact (at least), it can even suck the
other drivers disks over the network (yay. only 2 floppies needed ;)

richard: you only need the other disks if you actually want to install
something...

to install them from floppy disks, you'll probably have to download
them yourself and either copy them across to the harddrive (and
point the installation at them) or somehow convince the installation
to use them off the floppies directly (which is probably going to be a
hassle).

i'm not sure how to get the list of packages you'll need.

this might be good enough:
 grep-dctrl -nX -sPackage -FSection base /var/lib/dpkg/available

but check that list by hand first. i doubt you need 27 kernel-images,
for example ;)

assuming the root.bin tar is good enough (which is a big assumption,
might want to check first), a nice way to copy them all across might
be to use the tar "-M" option:

 grep-dctrl ... > /tmp/package-list.txt
 vi /tmp/package-list.txt
 apt-get autoclean
 cd /var/cache/apt/archives
 tar cvMf /dev/fd0 $(ls $(sed 's/$/*.deb/' /tmp/package-list.txt))

and then "tar xvMf /dev/fd0" to extract

--
 - Gus