Paul Copeland was once rumoured to have said:
> Hi All,
>
> I am a little confused at present.  Lately everytime I boot into Linux (SuSE
> 7.3 Personal), nearly all the time now, my boot messages tell me that hdb3
> (the / partition) was not unmounted cleanly, so it scans the disk.

It is possible that a process is still running on a filesystem which
has prevented it from being unmounted properly.  Debian (IIRC) handles
this case by doing a second pass to remount any remaining filesystems
after the unmount pass as read-only.  I've not seen any other distros
implement this behaviour.  I have seen this one crop up from time to
time however, so its not entirely out of the realms of probability.

Another possibility is caches/buffers not being flushed to disk
completely before the reset/power-down occurs, however this is a
definately shouldn't happen case.

C.