On Fri, Jan 25, 2002 at 12:19:51AM +1100, Michael Kraus wrote:
> G'day Sluggers and Peter,
> > On Thu, 2002-01-24 at 21:37, Michael Kraus wrote:
> > > a) run Corel Draw, Adobe Illustrator, Quark Express, etc?
> >
> > There's a Linux-native version of Corel Draw kicking around I think.
> > Info about compatibility of other apps can be found at
> > http://wine.codeweavers.com
>
> Hrmm...  wine doesn't seem to be so good (not enough app support)... May
> have to go the VM solution (as per below).

give it a try. if it works, then good - else it hasn't cost you anything.

i can run MSWord through wine and it would probably be stable enough to
do some work with.

Success with wine depends greatly on:

1. how many undocumented features your program takes advantage of. generally
this is mostly related to how new your program is (and whether it was written
by microsoft).

2. whether other people have tried and explicitly implemented the functions
that your application requires.

so just give it a go and see.

you will probably also want to fiddle with using windows or builtin common
dlls (see DllOverrides in wine conf)

> > > b) have Windose fonts available to it?
> >
> > It's a fairly trivial matter making Windows truetype fonts available to
> > Linux in general, and by extension, wine.
>
> Thought so... what about non-truetype?

what other formats are there?

if the app rasterises them directly, then it should continue to do so
- otherwise, it'll display any font that your xserver can draw.

--
 - Gus