Slug,

On Friday I was fiddling around with locale in my user account nicko.
This was to get xterm and mutt working with utf8.

When I tried to start X again, it crashed. Another user on this machine
- ed, can start X, as can root.

I re-exported the locale variables to C after trying out en.US.UTF8 .

Here is the diff between `startx 2> xout'  in the two accounts, where
`nicko' doesn't work and `ed' does:

  debian:~# cat diff_xout.nicko__xout.ed
  88c88,92
  < GLX Extension Reset called!
  ---
  > SetKbdSettings - type: 2 rate: 30 delay: 500 snumlk: 0
  > SetKbdSettings - Succeeded
  >
  > waiting for X server to shut down GLX Extension Reset called!

As it's the same XF86Config being used, I can only assusme that the
keyboard settings problem goes back to the failed attempt to use a utf8
locale. I would have though that by returning the entire locale to C by
using LC_ALL=C would return nicko to a stock standard setting, just like
ed.

Clues? please anyone.

Nick