On Tue, Mar 12, 2002 at 01:43:02AM +1100, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> hello,
> I've been reading the Sound Howto, but I'm still confused as to how to go about
>getting my sound card to work.  While installing Debian I opted to load the sound
>modules, so I thought I wouldn't have to recompile the kernel.  Last time I used
>redhat and it was taken care of by sndconfig.  I'm not sure what sort of sound card
>it is, but under windows it used a generic driver and it has Creative Labs written on
>the chip, so it should be sound blasterish?  I'm using debian potato.
> Thanks.
> Veronica

some suggestions:

- have a look at the card for some name/number that looks like it might be the
model, then type it into google along with "debian potato" or something and
see what results you get.

- you could just try loading some sound modules and see if you get lucky.
This has worked for me in the past.  'lsmod' tells you what modules you
have loaded already, 'insmod' to load more, 'rmmod' to remove them.
Just look under /lib/modules/<your-kernel-version>, somewhere under there
should be a 'sound' directory so in there is the sound modules.
You'll need the 'soundcore' and/or 'sound' module loaded first.  If you're
feeling lazy just load those modules then go to the sound module directory
and do 'insmod *', ignore the errors, do an 'lsmod' and see what's loaded
then try playing a sound.  If it worked, add those modules to the /etc/modules
file.  Note: I'm sure this isn't the recommended way...

Dave.