On Mon, 2002-03-11 at 22:27, Terry Collins wrote:
> Um, no. That is what I thought until I had an old compag P75 boxen. I
> needed to feed it a MAC address for some reason. Since then realised you
> can fiddle them all. It is only for the life of the boot or until
> changed.

It was my understanding that it's done by putting the card into
promiscuous mode.  The kernel then filters out the MAC address it's
interested in.  I may be completely wrong, but I'm sure it was at least
as evil as that.

Out of interest - why would you want to change the MAC anyway?

--
Peter
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Picturesque meant - he decided after careful observation of the
scenery that inspired Twoflower to use the word - that the landscape
was horribly precipitous.  Quaint, when used to describe the
occasional village through which they passed, meant fever-ridden and
tumbledown.
                   (Terry Pratchett, The Colour of Magic)