At Thu, 14 Mar 2002 20:30:07 +1100,
Jeff Waugh wrote:
> I'm looking for a KDE person who would like to do a combined GNOME/KDE
> desktop talk with me at the upcoming Linux Workshop in May.

> [ Yes, this does exclude the amazing choice outside the scope of desktop
> environments, but I'm pretty sure that new or migrating users will find
> GNOME and KDE to be simpler introductions to Free Software. It would be a
> crime if there weren't any Enlightenment or "using Linux on older computers"
> talks to go with them. ]

given that i've now switched from mutt to an emacs mail reader
(wanderlust - see the extremely long User-Agent header) and thus use
emacs exclusively for mail/address book/calendaring, i feel qualified
to give a talk demonstrating "the emacs desktop".

naturally i wouldn't expect gui newbies(*) to attend/understand/cope,
so this would depend entirely on demand.

I think more advanced users might be interested (and surprised) by the
power of some of these relatively unmentioned alternatives to
evolution/gnome/kde. Whether such users will be at a linux installfest
*cough* workshop is another matter though..

(*) "gui newbies" as opposed to "non-gui newbies" who would probably
cope with emacs/emacspeak fairly well. (hi bart, yz)

--
 - Gus