Hi, my potato reinstall has struck problems
.
All went well until I had to install LILO either on /dev/hda (XP drive)
or /dev/hdb. Attempted installation on /dev/hda received the message
-
                                        Problem.
Lilo wasn't able to install.
The most common reason why LILO fails is trying to boot a kernel that
resides at a location on the disk higher than the 1023 cylinder. With
older BIOS, LILO is unable to load any block of the kernel from a disk
cylinder numbered higher than 1023. This is often a problem with disks
larger than 524 MB or so. One way to solve the problem is to make a
small (5-10 MB) partition at the beginning of the disk and mount it on
"/boot", so that the entire "/boot" partition will be below the 1023rd
cylinder.
-
My partition structure is

hdb2      8.23 MB /boot
hdb5    493.00 MB /
hdb6  1,988.75 MB /var
hdb7  1,988.75 MB /usr
hdb8  1,988.75 MB /usr/local
hdb9 32,753.07 MB /home
hdb10   764.00 MB /swap

My BIOS is new - 1-2 yrs old, and I have tried initializing the boot
partition first in order to ensure that it resides below the 1023rd
cylinder.
This, however makes no difference and I keep getting this error message
when I try to install on /dev/hda or /dev/hdb.

Attempts to create a boot floppy receive the message
                                        Problem
Creation of the boot floppy failed. Please make sure that the floppy is
not write-protected, and that you put it in the first drive. Try another
floppy if the problem persists.
I have tried these options, with no result.

The option "Next: Make Linux Bootable Directly From Hard Disk" was also
unsuccessful, receiving the message
Where should the Lilo boot loader be installed ? LILO can be installed
either into the master boot record (MBR), or into the /dev/hdb2 boot
block. If installed into the MBR, Lilo will take control of the boot
process. If you choose not to install LILO into the MBR, you will have
the opportunity later on to install an alternative MBR program for
bootstrapping LILO.
-

I have previously installed LILO into the MBR on /dev/hda and this may
be interfering with the reinstall process. Attempts to install it at
/dev/hdb2 have ended up with the above sequence of error messages.

On reboot from HD, holding down TAB at the 'LILO boot:' prompt results
in

"Debian2.2r4  1  2  WinXP"

How do I complete the install ? I have already initialized the
partitions, deleting their previous contents.

Adam Bogacki

P.O. Box 38, Earlwood, NSW 2206, Australia
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   [current ISP]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]       [forwarding]