There are no sym links in the first level of the home dir.
Permissions for server /home are drwxr-xr-x
(I have tried drwxrwxrwx also)

I can login on the clients from the command line. when I do this I get:

No directory /home/username! /* obviously, as it won't mount */
Logging in with home="/".
shell$

So that part of NIS seems to be OK.

Maybe I should take my configuration files off the machine and blow it away
and start again.

rgds,

Nick