On Sat, 2002-03-23 at 23:40, Dennis Curnow` wrote:
> G'Day Gang,
>
> I have files I want to access on a cdrom  but don't seem to be able to list the
>contents
> with "ls" although "cat" gave me three and a half truck loads of gobbledegook so I
>figure
> the cdrom is mounted ok.
> I still don't have "X" working yet so this is all done from the command prompt.
> Can someone point me in the right direction please.

I am going to take a stab in the dark.

I think you might be accessing /dev/cdrom.  If you are you have to mount
the cdrom.  On redhat you can 'mount /mnt/cdrom'  (others such as debian
are 'mount /cdrom' so try that as well).  You then access the cd through
the /mnt/cdrom directory.  Once you have finshed with the cd get out of
the /mnt/cdrom entirely and use the command 'eject /mnt/cdrom' to get
the cd out again.

/dev/cdrom is raw access to the CD,  you are getting everything from the
CD sequentially, including directories.

If this is not your problem please post a sample ls command.

Thanks
KenF